For the past month or so I’ve been working on a sewing project. It’s one of those free form things that could go on and on, ad nauseam. My enthusiasm for it started when I saw this very cool denim starburst on a blog named Belrossa. Having an absolutely mountain of denim I figured it would be a way to kill two birds with one stone. I’d have some new art and lighten the load.
There are no instructions on her blog how to make it, but I knew I’d be doing it differently anyway, since I wouldn’t need to be cutting up jeans. If you do want to do this project, I’d just cut the legs off 3-4 pairs of jeans and slit a seam. The denim I have is what I would call sample pieces and all I’d need was to cut one seam and I was off and running. So I pulled out a stack of various colors, deciding limit it to 5 blacks, grays and an off white. I ironed a “heat & bond” type adhesive on the back, cut them from 1″ to 2″ widths and then to various lengths.
I also used a lightweight black cotton as a backing to fuse and then sew onto. I first put down the white center and a layer of darker colors in wider widths. I laid them out in a pleasing sun-bursty design, fused and then sewed around each piece with a nice red thread using a zig zag stitch. Now, that sounds pretty quick and easy, right? Well, it is very easy to do, but quick it is not, even the fusing isn’t that quick. Mind you, you can just go at it all willy-nilly, and I truly enjoy making free form pieces, but I also felt it would be easier to sew the pieces if they’re already tacked to the backing. It took the whole weekend to get the first layer down.
Still having some enthusiasm, the next weekend I went after it again and got most of another layer done. It was starting to shape up and look more like a starburst or a light at the end of the tunnel, as I started to think of it. By the third weekend the enthusiasm was starting to wane, but I plugged on and by this weekend I’m calling it done. This thing is the sewing equivalent of knitting’s garter stitch. It got boring very quickly and I’ve been working on it for so long, I’m not even sure I like it any more. So I think I’ll set it aside, let it marinade while I decide whether I just mount it, or add something else to it and use it as a background for a mixed media project.
It may not be done, but I sure am. It was good for me to have a different kind of project, and to make myself follow through and finish something. But I do know one thing, I’m not making another!